Re: Choosing network settings at boot?

On Sat, Feb 08, 2003 at 09:13:02PM +1300, Andrew McMillan wrote:
> Don't forget that you can tweak you DHCP settings to make it not wait so
> long.

Ah, now that's a good idea.  What about adding a note to the whereami
documentation for testdhcp?

> This is what I do to set my timeout down to two seconds - I don't know
> of a LAN that wouldn't respond to DHCP in sub-second time.

Well, many people configure their DHCP server to ping an IP address and wait
for 1 second before offering the lease (the ping-check configuration flag
for dhcpd), so 3 or 4 seconds is perhaps better 'just in case'.

For dhclient, the timeout is configured by adding this to
/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf:

timeout 4;

Chris