Re: Kernel 2.4.20 + PCMCIA not working (testing)

* Cesar Rincon <crincon@et.com.mx> [2003 Jan 26 06:25 -0600]:
> Weird.  And of course you are using speed 115200, or at least 57600, in
> your ppp configuration, right? (just ruling out common
> misconfigurations).  Check also for IRQ conflicts between your modem and
> your NIC.  Maybe they're being forced to share an interrupt, and one or
> both do not like that.

Yes, the speed is set to 115200.  I have no other pcmcia card installed
in the machine, just a Megahertz 56k PC Card modem.

> IMO you'll miss 2.4 if you go back to 2.2, and you'll miss woody even
> more, if you go back to potato.  There should be no need for that.

You're most likely right!

> yenta is needed only for the *kernel* PCMCIA support.  I don't use that
> myself, I use a custom 2.4.18 kernel with modules from pcmcia_cs (that
> is, I use i82365, not yenta_socket).

With pcmcia-cs I also use i82365 and it's always worked great.  I had a
thought this morning of seeing if pcmcia-cs was available for the 2.4
series and apparently it is.  I wonder if I should go with the kernel
source from kernel.org or if the Debian patched source I have on the
machine now would be "better".

> What I do is get the kernel-source, pcmcia-source, and kernel-package
> packages.  Uncompress the PCMCIA tarball, so you end up with a "modules"
> directory right under "/usr/src".  Configure the kernel with no PCMCIA
> support (that's right, disable it completely).  Run the usual make-kpkg
> kernel_image and, after that, a make-kpkg modules.  You should probably
> make the rest of the PCMCIA packages, as well, to avoid version problems
> with the kernel.  See the make-kpkg and pcmcia-source docs for details.

I've given up on the kernel-package myself and have gone back to
installing my custom built kernel by hand, as from my Slackware days.  I
had a fight with dselect once...

> That should give you a pcmcia modules package, with modules from
> pcmcia_cs, not from the kernel.  Then you'll configure for i82365 again
> and, if your problem is yenta, it should be gone.

Thanks for the advice.  The reminder is good as it's been some time
(three years?) since I had performed the kernel install on that laptop.

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | sleeping giant and