Kernel 2.4.20 + PCMCIA not working (testing)

Hi All.

I haven't found a great deal of help on this subject after Googling for
a while.  I've installed a base of Woody on a larger hard drive in my
Thinkpad 760ED.  The base install with kernel 2.2.20 and the pcmcia-cs
modules worked flawlessly as it always had under Potato.

Right after installing the Woody base, I immediately jumped up to
Testing and installed kernel-image-2.4.20-586tsc along with the
associated pcmcia modules package.  The result is that cardmgr will not
start and I receive several errors on system start as follows:

Starting PCMCIA services: modulesLinux Kernel Card Services 3,1,22
/lib/modules/2.4.20-586tsc/pcmcia/I82365.o: unresolved symbol
isapnp_find_dev_R27cd2cad
ds: no socket drivers loaded!
/lib/modules/2.4.20-586tsc/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Operation not
permitted
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
	You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
 cardmgr

Meanwhile, peering into syslog reveals much the same:

Linux Kernel Card Services 3.1.22
ds: no socket drivers loaded!

An lsmod reveals that pcmcia_core is the only PCMCIA module loaded.

Meanwhile booting 2.2.20 results in pcmcia-cs loading fine and
recognizing the modem.  An lsmod reveals that the pcmcia_core, i82365,
ds, and serial_cs modules are loaded.

Oddly, the reported version for Linux PCMCIA Card Services and cardmgr
when using the 2.2.20 kernel is 3.1.33 which is newer than that in the
2.4.20 kernel!

Has anyone solved this?  Is a custom kernel necessary?  Should I file a
bug report?

Thanks!

- Nate >>

--
 Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          | "We have awakened a
 Internet | n0nb@networksplus.net               | sleeping giant and