Re: No network connection with a Xircom RealPort Cardbus Ethernet 10/ 100 + Modem 56 (RBEM56G-100)

    "Jeff" == jcoppock1  <Jeff> writes:

    Jeff> Irish, Jon D MEVATEC, 2003-Jan-17 13:47 -0600:
    >> Ivar, lsmod indicates that tulip_cb and the cb_enabler modules
    >> are indeed loaded.  Ifconfig -a shows the adapter (eth0). I did
    >> a ifconfig eth0 up, and the adapter did activate, but it does
    >> not have an address. I would like it to use DHCP to get all of
    >> the config info, but I did not see any info in the man page for
    >> using DHCP. How can I do this? Also, how can I set this up so
    >> that it is automatically brought up and configured with DHCP at
    >> boot time?  It case you all haven't guessed, I'm a "newbie', so
    >> I need all of the help I can get ;-)

First do 'man interfaces' and then add the following line to the
/etc/network/interfaces file:

iface eth0 inet dhcp

Be sure *not* to add a line that says 'auto eth0' since this is a
PCMCIA device.

Now do 'ifup eth0' and your card should come up with dhcp. If it does
not tell us what you see in the syslog etc.

The next time you boot up cardmgr should detect your card on boot or
at insertion and bring it up with dhcp.

Okay, I may have missed something. But most PCMCIA devices (I don't
own cardbus devices) work like this. I'm not sure what the level of
cardbus support is in cardmgr.....try it and see.

Cheers!
Shyamal