Re: No network connection with a Xircom RealPort Cardbus Ethernet 10/ 100 + Modem 56 (RBEM56G-100)

Irish, Jon D MEVATEC, 2003-Jan-17 13:47 -0600:
> Ivar,
> lsmod indicates that tulip_cb and the cb_enabler modules are indeed loaded.
> Ifconfig -a shows the adapter (eth0). I did a ifconfig eth0 up, and the
> adapter did activate, but it does not have an address. I would like it to
> use DHCP to get all of the config info, but I did not see any info in the
> man page for using DHCP. How can I do this? Also, how can I set this up so
> that it is automatically brought up and configured with DHCP at boot time?
> It case you all haven't guessed, I'm a "newbie', so I need all of the help I
> can get ;-)

To make sure DHCP works, and that you have a client installed, run as root:

# pump -i eth0

or

# dhclient eth0

One should work, unless neither is installed.

Then, to make it permanent, edit as root /etc/pcmcia/network.opts and
change the "DHCP=n" option to "DHCP=y".  Then next time you load the
card/reboot it will run dhcp after loading the modules.

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer
Diggin' Debian		Admin and User