Setting the hardware clock

Hi,

I have problems adjusting the hardware clock on a Toshiba Portege 3110.
hwclock does not work in the same way as on other machines, it just doesn't
return or set anything.

It seems there is something going on (or not) when accessing /dev/rtc:

giedi:~# ls -l /dev/rtc
crw-rw----	1  root		root	10, 135 Jun 13 2001 /dev/rtc

rtc is loaded as a module on a 2.4.20 vanilla kernel on a Debian 3.0.

strace hwclock shows:

open("/dev/rtc", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE)  = 3
close(3)                                = 0
open("/dev/rtc", O_RDONLY|O_LARGEFILE)  = 3
ioctl(3, RTC_UIE_ON, 0)                 = 0
read(3,  <unfinished ...>

Here it stops ..

I've also tried with options "--directisa" or "--debug" to no avail. With the
latter option hwclock stops with "Waiting for clock signal". It seems there
are no hardware interrupts generated for the clock since /proc/interrupts
shows zero interrupts for device rtc.

System time and date can be set via ntpdate or date, of course. However, it's
a hassle to enter the date manually on every boot when offline.

Has anyone encountered this behaviour or could give me some hints? Can a CMOS
clock just f#§$%&n' break?

Many thanks in advance,
  Frank
 Frank Trenkamp                            ftrenkam at uos de
 PGP fprt: 5A0C 4AE9 74A5 51F0 2D34  E7DC 67FF 32C4 0357 5653