Re: GNOME 2 install failure

Hi!

[...]
>the omf-files try to reference a DTD ... from the net and not from a  local
>location. while installing there occurs a connection
>attempt to www.open-oasis.org. by the time i installed gnome2 on my
>machine the web server was completely unavailable. now it says:
>
>Patience .. ca arrive..

I noticed those connections too, but I didn't figure out they were caused by a DTD lookup :)

>well... but if you have the patience you can apt-get -f install until every
>tried connection times out and the packages are then
>"properly" installed. i also have the vague feeling that gnome2 tries
>to connect to the aforementioned server when starting up, so it takes
>some time to be ready to use.

Unfortunately there are many packages depending on those omf-files (file-roller2, scrollkeeper and some more) so I think I'll wait for the official packages to be at least in testing.

thanks a lot
--
mattia

PS: I hope gnome2 doesn't really try to connect (without asking the user) at each logon... It wouldn't be fair :(

>anyway, gnome2 hit the official unstable last sunday, so i expect it  to be in
>testing within 2 weeks. :)
>
>cheers,
> sebastian
>--