Re: RFC on low resource machine and debian

zgv might be just what you are looking for (no X required).  I say
"might", because it doesn't work with all SVGA video cards, however
with an older machine, the chances should be pretty good (although I
never have had very good luck with Compaq boxen):

Package: zgv
Section: graphics
Installed-Size: 403
Maintainer: Ryszard Lach <rla@debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Version: 5.6-1
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.2.4-4), libjpeg62, libpng2 (>= 1.0.12), libtiff3g,
svgalibg1, zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4)
Conflicts: svgalib1-libggi2
Filename: pool/main/z/zgv/zgv_5.6-1_i386.deb
Size: 211914
MD5sum: c21f49aec462a528bfc5bd4f5d6f1ab7
 'zgv' is a graphics viewer, based around SVGAlib, which can display
 GIF87a, GIF89a, JPEG/JFIF, PNG, PBM/PGM/PPM, BMP, and TGA files on a
 standard VGA and most SVGAs, with a full-screen file selector
 front-end. It can also be used as a simple command-line file viewer,
 with 'zgv filename', to do slide shows of a list of files, and so on.