Re: Woody, Orinico, and Airport Base Station DHCP

Having just set up a similar system (Woody, Orinoco, RG-1000), I did
things a timy bit differently.

On Tue, 22 Oct 2002, Eric M. Winslow wrote:
> Debian recognizes my card fine (2 high beeps), but that's it. I do have
> the wireless tools installed.
>
> Here's my /etc/network/interfaces:
>
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet dhcp
> wireless_essid " THE NET"   #yeah, that extra space is legit
> wireless_mode managed
> wireless_key s:<key in ASCII>  #I have tried hex, too
>
> #end of /etc/network/interfaces
>
> What am I missing? Something in this file, or is there another config
> file that I need to check.

My /etc/network/interfaces doesn't have the 'auto eth0' or the wireless*
lines, but is othewise the same.  I do have lines in
/etc/pcmcia/wireless.opts that do the equivalent of the wireless* lines
you give.  My only problems were operator error (I use string keys, and go
the case wrong).

The biggest difference I can see is that you may be doing the config too
early - if /etc/network/interfaces is processed before the wireless card
is initiaized, then I would expect problems.  Your 'auto eth0' line makes
me suspicious, but I haven't had any reason to learn what it does,
exactly...

	/cco