Woody, Orinico, and Airport Base Station DHCP

Greetings.

I've read just about everything I can find on wireless configuration,
but have not been able to get Debian on my Dell laptop to talk to my
Airport Base Station. I know I'm just missing some small piece of the
puzzle and hopefully someone will be able to point it out.

Debian recognizes my card fine (2 high beeps), but that's it. I do have
the wireless tools installed.

Here's my /etc/network/interfaces:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
wireless_essid " THE NET"   #yeah, that extra space is legit
wireless_mode managed
wireless_key s:<key in ASCII>  #I have tried hex, too

#end of /etc/network/interfaces

What am I missing? Something in this file, or is there another config
file that I need to check.

Thanks for the help. If I can get this to work I won't load up Redhat 8
on this laptop, I promise.

Eric M. Winslow