OT: how much disk space for linux + windows

Hello List.

I am trying to buy a used laptop on ebay next time, but there's one question
i'm quite unsure yet.
I would like to install both linux (debian ) and windows ( probably 2000 )
because i want to use it for networking exercises with my good old desktop
box here.
I wonder how much disk space i will need. I heard to give win2000 about 10 GB
at least, But I would not need win word or excell or such stuff.
For my belongings, I think Debian Linux would work with 6 GB sufficient.
But can I reduce win to that ? Then I could attempt a 12 GB disc which would
make things much easier...

--
Michl.