Problems installing via PLIP+NFS

Dear list,

I'm busy installing Debian GNU/Linux on my old TOPLINE MEDIANOTE. This is a
486-laptop running at 50 MHz with 8 MB RAM. Since it has no CD-ROM or
network-connection, I have to use a PLIP-link with my desktop (also running
Debian) to access files trough NFS.

<BEFORE THE PROBLEM>
First, I've tried the bootfloppies that come on the Debian 3.0 CD-ROM. They
boot properly, the root disk loads but then the laptop hangs and doesn't
continue to the installation menu.
Next, I downloaded older bootfloppies from the latest 2.2-release and
managed to boot into the installation system. After loading the 4
driver-disks and playing around for a long while, I eventually managed to
bring up a working PLIP-link! After letting my desktop machine masquerade
traffic from the laptop, I could even ping hosts on the internet. This
seemed to work well. So I told the installation system to download stuff
over the network, from the internet. But, it kept saying that it couldn't
resolve hostnames while the ping command could!
My last strategy: I downloaded the base2_2.tgz and placed in on my desktop.
Exported the filesystem and mounted it on the laptop. Again: fine. Choose
the method nfs for installing the base system in the installation menu ....
and here come's the big problem:
</BEFORE THE PROBLEM>

After running for a while, the installer exits and gets restarted. No error
messages on the messages-console, just the message that it's restarted
because it exited. Also tried to manually cp the base2_2.tgz to the local
drive to install it from there, same story: after a while, the console
running cp exits and gets restarted. Also tried to run the cp-process in the
background - this also gets killed after, say, 5 minutes.

What could be the problem here? It seems that al processes get killed if
they run 'too long' or something? Is there a way to prevent this from
happening? Or is this a bug that should not happen?

Kind regards,
Sjon Wijnolst,
The Netherlands.