toggle resolution

Can anyone tell me how I can change the resolution?
I have several resolution entries in XF86Config-4,
but how do I toggle from one to another?

I have Debian 3.0 on a Fujitsu P2040, which has a
nonstandard (wide aspect) display.  I have been using
only the default resolution, but I understand I should
change it to use a projector or the image will be
distorted.

(I am using Gnome, if that is relevant.)

Thanks in advance.

Steve