Re: Trying to get sound working ...

On Wednesday 02 October 2002 04:38 am, Ivan Uemlianin wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I'm running Debian Woody on an IBM Thinkpad A31p.  Everything is working
> fine, except sound.  I *think* the problem is incorrect parameters to
> the relevant kernel modules, but (a) I might be wrong and (b) I don't
> know how to set the parameters.  Any pointers on these two - or any
> other helpful info - would be gratefully received.
>
> The sound card is an Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio (Analog Devices
> AD1881A).  I had read (e.g. at the linux-laptop site) that Thinkpad
> sound, and this card specifically, was OK on Linux, with the i810 and
> mpu401 modules.  I have also got into trouble trying to recompile the
> kernel to set up ALSA, so I'd rather avoid that for now.
>
> Installing Debian, I made sure the following sound driver modules were
> checked:
>
> ac97_codec
> i810_audio
> mpu401
> sound
> soundcore
- -SNIP-
> Ivan

Ivan:

I did not see you mention anything at all about a mixer (volume control).  It
might be simply turned down (by default).  I don't know which GUI you are
using, or if you use a GUI at all.  I would recommend 'apt-get install aumix'
simply because it works in console and GUI alike.  Adjust the pcm, cd, and
main settings to the 3/4 mark and then try your cd/wav test.  You *should*
have the play command if you installed sndconfig (I think I read that you
tried this utility).

To test a .wav file, use the 'play' command:   play blahblah.wav
If you get an error, then you need to find the module.  If no error, we
probably need to dig a little further.  To locate *any* wav file, try the
command 'locate *.wav' then use the mouse to highlight the complete path to
the .wav file, then paste that (click both mouse keys at same time in x, or
right click if your in console mode) after the 'play' command.

'modconf' is great in my opinion.  It let's you add these mods easily.

If none of this works, please post back.

gl

tatah
- --

Jaye Inabnit\ARS ke6sls\/A GNU-Debian linux user\/ http://www.qsl.net/ke6sls
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.
Free software, in a free world, for a free spirit. Please Support freedom!