From: Ivan Uemlianin [mailto:i.a.uemlianin@celtic.co.uk]
Sent: Wednesday, 2 October 2002 9:38 PM
To: debian-laptop@lists.debian.org; David Pastern
Subject: Trying to get sound working ...

Dear All

I'm running Debian Woody on an IBM Thinkpad A31p.  Everything is working
fine, except sound.  I *think* the problem is incorrect parameters to
the relevant kernel modules, but (a) I might be wrong and (b) I don't
know how to set the parameters.  Any pointers on these two - or any
other helpful info - would be gratefully received.

The sound card is an Intel Corp. 82801CA/CAM AC'97 Audio (Analog Devices
AD1881A).  I had read (e.g. at the linux-laptop site) that Thinkpad
sound, and this card specifically, was OK on Linux, with the i810 and
mpu401 modules.  I have also got into trouble trying to recompile the
kernel to set up ALSA, so I'd rather avoid that for now.

Installing Debian, I made sure the following sound driver modules were
checked:

ac97_codec
i810_audio
mpu401
sound
soundcore

I gave no parameters as I wasn't aware of the need for any at the time.

Having installed Debian sound was just not working.  For example, cdcd
would happily play my CDs - silently.  (At the moment only root has
access to certain devices - e.g. audio, write access to hda1 - but
that's a separate issue.)

There follows all the information I could find on my setup.  From the
IO/IRQ discrepancy shown between the boot messags and The Other OS, I
would guess that I need to add parameters to some/all of the modules.
But which and how (and how to translate the Windows figures into
something useful) I have no idea.

- sndconfig correctly identifies the sound card but can't config it.

- lsmod includes four of the modules, but not i810_audio:

mpu401                 18784   0  (unused)
sound                  52876   0  [mpu401]
ac97_codec              9568   0
soundcore               3236   2  [sound]

- /etc/modules does not include ac97_codec, sound or soundcore, but does
include i810_audio and mpu401

- There is nothing about sound in /etc/modules.conf

- The following is from dmesg (boot messages), which seems to imply that
something is going wrong:

Intel 810 + AC97 Audio, version 0.21, 10:28:09 Apr 14 2002
PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:1f.5
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:1f.3
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 00:1f.6
PCI: Sharing IRQ 11 with 02:00.1
PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:1f.5 to 64
i810: Intel ICH3 found at IO 0x18c0 and 0x1c00, IRQ 11
i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 6 channels.
ac97_codec: AC97 Audio codec, id: 0x4144:0x5348 (Analog Devices AD1881A)
i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0 Unable to map surround DAC's (or DAC's not
present), total channels = 2
ac97_codec: AC97 Modem codec, id: 0x5349:0x4c27 (Unknown)
i810_audio: timed out waiting for codec 1 analog ready.

- I got the following details from The Other OS on my machine (Windows
2000 'Pro').  Note that the I/O and IRQs are different from those above
(Linux seems to put just about everything on IRQ 11; Windows seems to
put just about everything on IRQ 9).  I couldn't find DMA figures
specifically for the sound device, only for this 'DMA controller'.  I
couldn't find any DMA16 or MPU figures at all.

1. sound config info

Location: PCI bus 0, device 31, function 5

Driver:
SoundMAX Integrated Digital Audio 5.12.1.3039
Provider: Analod Devices

Resources:
input/output range: 1C00 - 1CFF
input/output range: 18C0 - 18FF
Interrupt Request:  09

2. DMA info

Computer Management|Sys Tools|Sys Info|HW Resources|DMA:
Direct memory access controller: channel 4

Computer Management|Sys Tools|Sys Info|HW Resources|I/O:
Address Range   Device
0x0000-0x0CF7   Direct memory access controller  (0x0000-0x000F ?*)
0x0080-0X008F   Direct memory access controller
0x00C0-0x00DF   Direct memory access controller

* from Computer Management|Sys Tools|Dev Man|Sys Dev|DMA controller

- info ends here.

Questions:
- Is it an IO/IRQ problem, and if so
  - what other info do I need (e.g. dma, mpu) and how do I get it?
  - how do I add module parameters?
- If not:
  - what else might it be?
  - where do I need to look? (I'd rather avoid alsa/kernel stuff until
I've exhausted this track)

Best wishes

Ivan