How to slow-down a PCMCIA ethernet card

Dear all,

I am currently experiencing problems with Sylpheed when checking mail on
POP3 servers. This problem has recently occurred and seems to be related
to the fact that I am now connected at 100MPS whereas I used to connect
only at 10MPS (then I had no problems).

When I check mail, 7 out of 10 times, sylpheed freezes while checking mail
and I need to kill it and restart it. Sylpheed does not enable one to
control connection time-out, so I suppose this may be related to a high
expected connection speed along with a short time-out...

In order to test this hypothesis (also to solve my problem and to wait for
a better version of Sylpheed concerning connection time-outs), I would
like to know if there is a way to manually control the connection speed of
a Linksys PCMCIA 10/100 etherfast card (using tulip_cb module).

I have been looking on the linksys web site but could find nothing. Would
this be card-specific?

I am running Debian potato (2.2r5), with pcmcia-cs 3.1.29-4 from unstable
(deb package made from source).

Thanks for your help.
Olivier.

--