mysterious X crashes

Configuration:
- Hardware: Dell latitude C810, with Nvidia Geforce2 Go graphics adapter
- Software: Debian testing, XFree 4.1

Symptoms:
- When running xdm and running an x-session as user _and_ serious cpu
load, X crashes (caught signal 11, exiting).

- To debug, I tried running the X server more verbose, ie with
# xinit /usr/bin/wmaker -- /usr/bin/X11/bin/XFree86 -logverbose 5

=> Result, all the crashes dissappear, no matter how hard I try
apt-getting and kernel compiling...

Although, when I run the following (ie. running xdm and logging in as
user) the crashes come back

# xinit /usr/bin/X11/xdm -- /usr/bin/X11/bin/XFree86 -logverbose 5

What I've already tried:
- Native nv driver from Xfree (did not succeed)
- Different versions of Nvidia drivers
- Disabling/enabling different XFree modules
- Disabling/enabling AGP support (both native Nvidia and kernel)
- Different kernels: 2.2.20 and 2.4.17
- Different windowmanagers (windowmaker/twm)
- Different login managers (xdm/kdm)

All these make no difference in the symptoms...

First I thought there were problems with the nvidia driver, but (after
the debugging attempts) I start thinking there must be something wrong
in the interaction between the login manager and the xsession client
(in my case the windowmanager).

But, I get the problems with different login managers and different
windowmanagers, which leaves me perplex...

Anyone could help me debug this _very_ unpleasant phenomenon
(sometimes I crash 5 times while trying to install a simple windowmaker
dockapp)?

thanks a lot!

Klaas

--
Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit.
  --Seneca