X on IBM ThinkPad 760CD

(note: I'm not subscribed, so please include a direct mail to my address)

I've been trying to get X working on my ThinkPad here. Unfortunately I've
run into 'some' trouble. X works. Kind of.
I'd kinda prefer using X3. Which would mean using xserver-svga. The
problem is that I can only get it to run on 640x480, and the goes beyond
the monitor area - and cant't be scrolled. What would be the correct
settings for the monitor to get 800x600 and get it right?
On xserver-xfree86 (which I don't quite like because on every system that
I've installed it on it causes trouble when switching to a virtual console
and back) the Trident driver doesn't work even though it does support the
chip on this computer. There's only an error about horizsync and vrefresh.
So again those seem to be wrong.
With xserver-xfree86's vesa driver 800x600 works, but top of the screen
has an area that only has X background - it's no window managed area. Also
there's graphical corruption.

Suggestions?

- Teppo