Re: Large HD problem(s) with older Laptop

On Mon, 2002-01-14 at 08:35, Glenn Becker wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Successfully replaced my 2.1G HD on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 470CDT with
> a 30G-er I won off eBay. Re-installed Win98 (ecch) and just for the hell
> of it, checked the drive size ... it seems to be only 8G.
>
> I've heard of older machines having a "large drive" problem, but was
> wondering what - if anything - could be done about it. I'm downloading
> an IBM app called Disk Manager 2000 that is supposed to do something
> about this, but it may do the trick only for the Windows end of things
> ... ?
>
> NB I upgraded the machine's BIOS before doing any of this stuff.
>
> Any advice would be much appreciated!

I installed Disk Manager on an old laptop I put a 20G drive into and it
worked fine.  I had that one dual-booting Win98 and Linux - it worked
fine, but you have to be sure you don't boot from a floppy or CD without
doing it through Disk Manager.

If you can get away without using Windows Linux can support the large
drive natively, and this can be a better idea.

Cheers,
					Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/        PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201    MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
       Are you enrolled at http://schoolreunions.co.nz/ yet?