Large HD problem(s) with older Laptop

Hi,

Successfully replaced my 2.1G HD on a Toshiba Satellite Pro 470CDT with
a 30G-er I won off eBay. Re-installed Win98 (ecch) and just for the hell
of it, checked the drive size ... it seems to be only 8G.

I've heard of older machines having a "large drive" problem, but was
wondering what - if anything - could be done about it. I'm downloading
an IBM app called Disk Manager 2000 that is supposed to do something
about this, but it may do the trick only for the Windows end of things
.... ?

NB I upgraded the machine's BIOS before doing any of this stuff.

Any advice would be much appreciated!