Re: screen standby pblm

Hybrids@ub0ts.com wrote:

Sorry for the post again ... i had my box puter down for 1 day (crash) so i
didn't receive any mail from this list and i dunno if an answer was given.
so i repost the mail i already sent ... sorry for that

i have a dell inspiron 7500 with an ATI rage mobility pro M running a woody
on a 2.4.16 and 2.4.17

i have 2 pblms i didn't manage to solve, they are both true with kernel
2.4.16 and 2.4.17

first one : when i don't touch mouse or keyboard for a predefinied time ,
the screen stopped displaying .. but it's not  a real power off of the
screen ... it's just that it's going blanking ... i mean u can see a brigth
light by day & night ...
i would like it to really shut down but only the screen.

second one : i have apmd running ... when i do apm -S it's going to standby
mode ..(with this mode the screen is really off --> no bright light), the
network card is not stopped but i can't continue a download or a samba share .. when i resume my network connection (3COM FE575C PCMCIA ) is working well
.

if i do a apm -s ... the sytem go to suspend mode ... the laptop really shut down .. like if u stop it with the power button. so the network card is off
too.
the pblm is when i do a resume, indeed the network card is not being refresh
or re-used .. i got an error .. and i have to reboot the puter for it to
work well ...
i tried a /etc/init.d/pcmcia restart and a /etc/init.d/networking restart
... but no way to get this NC working again ...

i hope u'll understand my frenglish =P

Anyone have an idea for this 2 Pblm ??

thks a lot .

I've got a Inspiron 8000 and had the same problem with the screen standby (the screen would freeze as well as the rest of the computer) and found that if you don't enable APIC in the kernel (i.e. # CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC is not set) it will work. Also for the apm stuff check out http://vergil.chemistry.gatech.edu/~park/dell.html although they seem to of given up trying to get apm to work with 2.4 it will give you some pointers