Problem w/ T23 and NIC (eepro100)

I am running Debian 2.2_Rev4, kernel 2.2.19 on a Think
Pad T23 with an Intel(R) PRO/100 network card. As far
as I can tell from the HOWTO for Ethernet, this
requires the eepro100 network module. I have been
unable to get the NIC recognized.

Originally, I was using 2.2.19-idepci because that was
the only version I could boot off of the CDROM
distribution. Unfortunately, the idepci version did
not have eepro100 available as a module--though if I
am reading the config file created by make
menu-config, it does look like it might be compiled
directly into the kernel. In any case, I tried
recompiling a customized kernel providing eepro100 as
a module. It appears to have compiled--at least it
shows up in /lib/moduled/2.2.19/. Still no luck.

The response I get from 'insmod eeprp100' and
'modprobe eepro100' is:
# depmod -a; modprobe eepro100
# eepro100.c: init_module: Device or resource busy
Hint: this error can be caused by incorrect module
paramaters, including invalid IO and IRQ parameters.

I know that the card works (at least under WindowsXP).

Not sure what to do. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan