Re: Laptop recommendations

Michael Nordmeyer wrote:

> Apple introduced a new iBook with 14.1" display yesterday. Check it
> out, it's on the apple site. But it's $1799 with 700Mhz and DVD/CDRW
> combo. Still quite inexpensive compared with Wintel consumer laptops.
> Apple hardware is solidly built.

This system looks really great! and is a great vallue for money. But it
is out of reach of my pocket..:-( My maximum limit is $1200.

> Apple is going to use more and more standard parts to reduce cost. I
> don't know if Darwin, Apple's Open Source, provides also source code
> for a whole hardware experience.

I read somewhere that someone studied the Darwin source code of the
sound driver for iBook2 and wrote a minimal driver for the linux kernel.
Yes, the presence of Darwin is a great thing for Free Software, once can
atleast study the source and understand the ststem better.

--
     Ramakrishnan M                      (http://www.hackGNU.org/)
     Texas Instruments, India                   (rkrishnan@ti.com)