Re: Laptop recommendations

From: "Muthukrishnan, Ramakrishnan" <rkrishnan@ti.com>
> Michael Nordmeyer wrote:
> >
> > Apple introduced a new iBook with 14.1" display yesterday. Check it
> > out, it's on the apple site. But it's $1799 with 700Mhz and DVD/CDRW
> > combo. Still quite inexpensive compared with Wintel consumer laptops.
> > Apple hardware is solidly built.
>
> This system looks really great! and is a great vallue for money. But it
> is out of reach of my pocket..:-( My maximum limit is $1200.

My Dell Inspiron 2500 was a little over US$1000 with taxes for an 800MHz
processor (I don't know iBooks, but I presume that's a 64bit cpu, so
admittedly not a comparable processor) with 14.1" display.  I didn't get the
DVD, but it's kind of hard to see how that makes the iBook "inexpensive".
It works great - it took some time before I managed to find an off-the-shelf
kernel that worked, but it's running Woody with kernel-image-2.4.16-586.  I
still haven't figured out sound though, but that's mostly because I couldn't
much care about it,

derek