Re: samba and a bit of sound

Anders Ellenshøj Andersen wrote:
> On Thursday 26 December 2002 15:23, Kurt Sys wrote:
>> etc, but I can't mount the filesystem, even not as root. I really
>> have
>
> You need the smb filesystem kernel module loaded (modprobe smb iirc).
> And the
> smbfs package must be installed also.

OK... problem found, I guess:

# Can't locate module iirc

What's the most 'simple' solution? Untill now, I just (re)compiled the
kernel (the debian way) after i ran 'make menuconfig'... choosing 'all
the things i thought i needed' (apparently, i 'forgot' some...) I'm quite a newbie, remember :-)

>> By the way, I also didn't manage to get sound to work. I get the
>> message 'can't locate module snd' (using 'alsa'). I have compiled
>> kernel 2.4.16
>
> Default sound system on 2.4.x kernel is OSS. Have you tried running
>
> # modconf

I'm quite sure it isn't, mainly because  I'm not sure which one I have
to choose. I know it's SoundBlaster and Windows sound compatible (from
website of Dell). However, if i try to 'modconf' the '100% soundblaster compatible' modules, it fails... I have this on my laptop, but actually also on my desktop (so it is not really a laptop-specific problem for me, although i have much more information about my soundcard of my desktop, i.e. i/o, irq, ...). I tried also with the OSS-stuff, but if i run alsaconf then, it complains 'can't locate module snd'. Do i really miss another module? (And where can i find it...)

Kurt.