Re: samba and a bit of sound

On Thursday 26 December 2002 15:23, Kurt Sys wrote:

> etc, but I can't mount the filesystem, even not as root. I really have

You need the smb filesystem kernel module loaded (modprobe smb iirc). And the
smbfs package must be installed also.

> By the way, I also didn't manage to get sound to work. I get the message
> 'can't locate module snd' (using 'alsa'). I have compiled kernel 2.4.16

Default sound system on 2.4.x kernel is OSS. Have you tried running

 # modconf

and have a look if your sound cards driver is running? You need to know the
chipset of the laptop to know which driver to load.
Also the user must have read priveleges to /dev/dsp.
It's usually easiest to do

 # adduser username audio

to enable sound for a particular user.

Anders