Re: Yet another "what laptop should I buy?" question

go for the thinkpad. They're heavily linux-supported, and are built like rocks.

(i.e., strong, not just sitting around)

Although I think that the R series are the heavier models, they're pretty nice. IMO the T23 is the best power/portability-- about 2 1/2 kg. I think that the R series may break your '3 kg' rule, but IIRC it's a lot cheaper...

-g

Jérôme Marant wrote:

Hi,

 I know this is a common question on this list but there are
 so many laptops available in the world that it is pretty hard
 to make up one's mind.

 Basically, I'm interested in buying a laptop with the following
 requirements:
 - cheaper than 2500 euros
 - lighter than 3 kg
 - 3 hours autonomy
 - good linux supported hardware
 - can be used to replace my main computer

 So far, Compaq Presario 28xx and IBM Thinkpad R series look
 interesting.
 I was also tempted by an Apple IBook but I managed to install
 Debian on it at work and couldn't manage to make it work out of
 the box (heavy use of unofficial resources on unofficial sites).

 Could anyone give me opinions and advices?

 Thanks in advance.

 Cheers,

 PS: please CC me on reply