Re: Yet another "what laptop should I buy?" question

On Thu, Dec 12, 2002 at 10:25:14PM +0100, Jérôme Marant wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I know this is a common question on this list but there are
>   so many laptops available in the world that it is pretty hard
>   to make up one's mind.
>
>   Basically, I'm interested in buying a laptop with the following
>   requirements:
>   - cheaper than 2500 euros
>   - lighter than 3 kg
>   - 3 hours autonomy
>   - good linux supported hardware
>   - can be used to replace my main computer
>
>   So far, Compaq Presario 28xx and IBM Thinkpad R series look
>   interesting.
The ibm X series is great, soooooooo small!! esp the X30 with integrated
wifi and bluetooth [both supported in linux] maybe not so good as
desktop replacement but still gorgeous!

Havent really  looked at the R series.

I use an IBM T23 which is running Debian v Nicely, the only thing i
havent got working yet is the IrDa, everything else, including
hibernation and even the *ugh* winmodem works!

Is also powerfull enough to run XP in a vritual machine should I be forced
to use it for something.

Would recomend the T23, is a good mix between power and portability.
although when i am wondering around with it in one hand, typing with the
other, my arm does get sore after about 10 minutes!

+not that it makes any differnce... but it has a little light built into
the top of the screen so you can see they keys in the dark! [with proper
typing, this shouldnt be necessary but it amused me for a few minutes
fiddling]

happy reseach!

hugh