Re: disable vga mode

On Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 03:07:27AM +0100, Julien Motch wrote:
> Hi All ,
>
> I am ruinning a debian 3.0 on a toshiba satelite laptop ( P 100 ) .
> The kernel is a 2.4 serie and boots in vga mode and only allows me to
> have a 640x480 display which causes the display to be smaller than the
> screen and disables the stretch function .
>
> Myu question is : is it possible to disable the vga mode without
> recompiling a new kernel ?

yeah, really easy. If you use grub, make sure there isn't a "vga=xxx"
where xxx is some number, in your menu.lst. If you use lilo, look in
/etc/lilo.conf. There is a line that says "vga=xxx", again where xxx is
some number. Either uncomment that line or make it be "vga=normal"
This will disable the vesa framebuffer.

You can also try some of your Fn keys. One might make the 640x480 be
fullscreen.

Hope that helps.

--
William Enck