Re: Eth0 interrupt(s) dropped?

On Tue 10 Dec, Clement Ng wrote:
> Hi,

> I am hoping to get some pointers on how to resolve an interrupt problem
> on my Portege 7010Ct laptop.  The error message: ("eth0 interrupt(s)
> dropped") appears multiple times every minute or so.  The computer is
> currently running Woody (kernel 2.4?), using a Netgear FA410TX PCMCIA
> nic card which was automatically recognised and configured during setup.
> I checked the IRQ assignment in the /proc driectory, and IRQ=3 is
> assigned to "pcnet.cs", which correspond to the IRQ info I get using
> ifconfig.

> I know that this is a fairly common problem, but after searching the web
> and list archives, as well as going through some of the documentation
> and HOWTOs, I'm at a loss as to where to start diagnosing this problem.

Does your network card work or not?

I had exactly the above with an axnet card in the PCMCIA slot(s) of my
toshiba Tecra 8000, and the ethernet card didn't actually work beyond being
recognised and configured. The fix was to edit  /etc/pcmcia/config.opts and
tell it that IRQ 3 was not free. Then it used IRQ10 instead and suddenly
both my ethernet card and wireless card worked fine.

Try that.

The one remaining problem I have is that both PCMCIA slots use IRQ10 so if
I put in a CF card/microdrive (via a PCMICA adaptor) then it won't work
unless the ethernet card is removed first otherwise they argue over the
interrupt. I can have a wireless card at the same time as the ethernet card
though, both working.

Anyone have any clues about this (much lesser) problem?

Wookey