text formatted far left, ugly and big,...

I run debian woody 3.0 on a old toshiba satellite 335cds. (circa 1998)
I don't run X but i really like the present screen text size and way the text
is formatted in the middle of the screen, (yes, it's a asthethics question,
sorry about that). I just compiled a new kernel and the text is really big and
ugly and formatted all the way to the left of the screen. (all the time, not
just at boot)

How do i get the text centered and smaller? I noticed that when my original
kernel boots the text is big and formatted far left as well, but after about
a second or so, the box beeps and the text is nicely aligned.  Nothing in
lilo.conf has changed for vga, it's vga=normal, same as before. I haven't
changed any .config files or settings to my knowledge, just compiled a newer
kernel. (still 2.4.*)
(i have heard that to cover the whole screen i should look into svgatextmode,
but i would still like to figure what's going on here first)
Sorry, for such a trivial question.

TIA

-mUs