X displays a blank screen on my Dell Latitude

I'm trying to get X Windows to work with a fresh Debian 3.0 installation on my Dell Latitude CPi D266XT. My problem is that when the system boots up and starts gdm to bring up the GNOME login panel, the screen goes dark and nothing I do brings it back.

I've tried editing my XF86Config-4 to use a 1024x768 display at 16 bits, and also to use an 800x600 display at 16 bits, but neither has any effect. Text scrolls by just fine as the computer is booting; it's only when it tries to bring up X that the display goes dark, and then Alt-F<n> doesn't work to bring up any virtual terminals.

/var/log/XFree86.0.log shows nothing unusual. The last few lines contain the only '(EE)' errors, which are an inability to open /dev/input/mice and a failure to PreInit the mouse, but then I get two '(II)' lines where it unloads the mouse module then adds 'Configured Mouse', and that's it. There are no other errors, and I don't see how mouse problems could cause X to give me a black screen and fail to go any further...

Can anyone give me any clues as to why this isn't working?