Re: PCMCIA network card alias configuration

On Friday 22 November 2002 04:18, David B Harris wrote:
> On 21 Nov 2002 19:11:33 -0600
>
> Shyamal Prasad <shyamal.prasad@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >     "David" == David B Harris <David> writes:
> >
> >     David> You need to edit /etc/pcmcia/network.opts, to make it use
> >     David> ifupdown; it refers to it as "Debian's network
> >     David> setup". Basically, you need to make sure all the variables
> >     David> in that file are either empty or set to "n". Why this isn't
> >     David> the default, I've no idea. (Be sure not to forget the 'auto
> >     David> eth0:0' line in /etc/network/intefaces).
> >
> > Hmmmm? I've never needed to do this. The default PCMCIA installation
> > always used ifup/ifdown before trying anything else. I just installed
> > Woody last night on a laptop, so I'm sure I did not have to do this.
>
> Can you attach your /etc/network/interfaces for my own edification? :)

Sure. The auto thing is a 'no go' though, because it inits the interface at
bootup, and they only should be inited at pcmcia-detection of the eth0
interface.

Here's my /etc/network/interfaces:

--------------snip---------------------
# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian
installation
# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
iface eth0 inet static
        address 192.168.0.22
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        network 192.168.0.0
        broadcast 192.168.0.255
#	up /sbin/ifup eth0:0
#	down /sbin/ifdown eth0:0

iface eth0:0 inet static
	address 10.216.10.123
	netmask 255.255.0.0
	network 10.216.10.0
	broadcast 10.216.10.255
	gateway 10.216.0.1

I tried using this up/down thing, but you can't call ifup/ifdown from within
the interfaces script (so I've experienced) because it seems to cause a
deadlock where ifup/ifdown hangs and does exactly nothing.

DK