odd volume behavior

Hi,

I'm using a ESS Technology ES1988 Allegro-1 (rev 12) sound chip, driven by
the maestro3 oss module (depends on ac97_codec and soundcore).

I just noticed a very odd behavior in aumix: arround the middle of the 'Vol'
bar, the volume peaks. When moved a little bit to the right of the peak, it
suddenly drops to fully silent. Then the rightmost half seems to behave
'normally'.
This results in the bar beeing chopped in two volume curves, with a steep
changeover.

Is this a known phenomenon? Anyone got a clue what this meight cause?
Is the maximum volume I get with this two half-volume curves the same as the
volume you'd get with one straight? (not that the tiny speakers would
handle that, but...)

--
  Greetings
  Joris