Re: Atir radeon mobility and svideo outpout

On 19 Nov 2002, Simon Wong wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-11-19 at 10:41, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> Have a look at the X log file if using the VESA modes fails and see
>> why X doesn't like the mode.
> I checked out the log and it's not accepting any of the 800x600 modes
> from the examples file due to either horizontal or vertical sync being
> out of range.

*blink*  That seems odd, given the ranges specified below, but anyway:

[...]

> What ranges do you have for your monitor?

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"A31p LCD Panel"
	HorizSync	30-75
	VertRefresh	50-85
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

> Mine is an IBM ITSX95?

If you got a manual with it, it's probably in that.

> Thanks for your help - I'm just worried about busting my screen :-(

It's *really* unlikely that you will do anything like that, especially
with modern monitors or LCD panels. They generally deal well with out of
range signals.

If you are worried, though, start up Debian in single user mode, run
sync, then start X.

If things go wrong, kill the power immediately. Having the battery out
helps with this. ;)

You may need to fsck on restart but your hardware should be fine.

YWWV, of course, and no warranty is available, but it's never hurt me
with modern hardware.

     Daniel

--
I have always detested the belief that sex is the chief bond
between man and woman. Friendship is far more human.