Re: HD performance question (3hd raid)

Robert Michel <Robert.Michel@post.rwth-aachen.de> writes:

> On Monday, 18. November 2002 13:01, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> > On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Olaf Meeuwissen wrote:
>
> > > Question 2: Can I do better than this?
> >
> > No.
> >
> > > I still think hard disk performance is a bit slow but that may be just
> > > me.
> >
> > It is. You have a laptop, which means a 5400RPM drive is *fast*. Don't
> > expect desktop performance out of these poor little drives. :)
>
> Don't beat me for this proposel:
>
> - Why not putting two edditional hds in one modular bay and run an software
>    raid with three hds?
>
> size wouldn't be a problem:
>  - two hds in two layers would fit
> power wouln't be a problem:
>  - one CD-RW: 	1.4A
>  - one HD:		0.5A
> master/slave woudn't be a problem
>  - two HDs should fit inside of the modular bay :-)

Lugging it around would be a problem :-)
I bought my laptop because it is easy to carry around (A4 size, 19mm
thick, 1.4kg *with* the adapter included), not because I'm into weight
lifting :-)

--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, ECS
LPIC-2               -- I hack, therefore I am --                 BOFH