Re: using an external USB CD to install woody (was: woody install on laptop)

Shyamal Prasad said:

>     milti> for the past couple of days, ive been trying to do a
>     milti> floppy/network install of woody on my sony picturebook (usb
> milti> floppy/xircom netcard) and have not been able to get past
> milti> the rescue disk: the error that stands out is
>
>     milti>    root fs not mounted
>
> The (Sony) USB floppy cannot be used with any of the Woody boot
> images. Your BIOS boots from the floppy, but after that you are stuck
> because it is only visible as a USB device. The bf2.4 image includes the
> USB support as modules, but you need the USB floppy to get them loaded
> into the kernel ;-) You are kind of stuck.

Hmm. That's useful to know. How about this .. I have a friend who has an
IBM ThinkPad with a broken internal CD-ROM, but a working floppy .
However, she has an external USB CD-RW. Since the woody install diskettes
include USB support as modules, can I use this external USB CD drive to
install woody on her laptop (after booting with the boot/root floppies, of
course)? Or will I need to go thru the whole install using only diskettes,
and then have it recognize the CD only after the reboot?

The last time I installed Debian not from a booting CD was potato, a long
time back. :-)

> There are several patched boot/root disks that do include the USB
> drivers you need in the kernel on the boot disk.
>
> For example you could try
> http://www-user.rhrk.uni-kl.de/~blochedu/usb-install/
>
> Or follow the advice on
> http://www.cs.uoregon.edu/~dhofer/sony_vaio_pcg-z505ls.html