Re: Greetings !! Debian /laptop newbie

Mark Banschbachm spake:

> Greetings all !
>
>   I am new to Debian although not new to Linux.. and I
> just did my first Debian in stall on a Toshiba 486 -33
> T4700CT Laptop.  It has a 800 Meg HD  24 Megs Ram.. No
> CD.. No NIC/Modem Just a floppy and  HD.. thats it.
>
>   I downloaded all the floppies (26?) and did the
> Woody Base Install.  I always heard Debian was harder
> to install and configure but once in was rock solid.
> I got encouraged by going to a presentation at my
> local LUG and decided to give Debian a try.. Now the
> base is in.. I will be needing help to get the rest
> done I am sure.  I need an X window.. and productivity
> software, ( basic office suite.. or componenets
> thereof).
>
>    I just wanted to introduce myself and my
> situation.. I look forward to talking with you all
> more.
>
> Regards,
>
> Mark Banschbach,
> Tampa, FL
_

Do an apt-get install x-window-system it will take you throught he
configuration (fairly simple) I suggest you use XDM as your display manager
as you have very limited resources.

then do an apt-get install fluxbox (also a fairly lightweight window
manager, but if you want somthing a bit more beefy and fun you can do
apt-get install wmaker to get windowmaker)

 I forget the name of the pannel app but there is a pannel app thet you can
get so you can get basic menu functions.

as far as a basic office suit, I suggest  getting the GTK+ stuff like abbi
word and gcalc as you can use those with out getting Gnome or KDE (koffice
requires KDE AFAIK and OO.org is WAY to much for your lil ol computer.

I amm sure some folks will mention screen as well for a WM. that one is cool
, you have a comand prompt on top or on the side or where ever you like and
then you type the app you want and it loads int eh other part of the
screen,....no menues and such but you get to have graphical apps with very
little resources used.