Re: I need help setting up my DVD please.

Jeremy Petzold <jpetzold@earthlink.net> writes:

> I need some help. I have a cd-rw/dvd-rom on my laptop
> I downloaded ogle, ogle gui is not working right in sarge so I got rid
> of it while I test out the access.
>
> I have access to the CD-RW functions, so I know my scsi emulation is
> working, I made a directory /dev/dvd and ln -sf to /dev/scd0.

Not claiming that I know what I speak of but this doesn't sound right.
What does

  $ ls -ld /dev/dvd /dev/scd0

give you?  I think /dev/dvd should be a symlink to /dev/scd0 and that
should in turn be a proper device node.  I don't have a DVD-ROM, but
for my CD-ROM it looks like

  $  ls -ld /dev/cdrom /dev/hdc
  lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root            3 Apr  3  2001 /dev/cdrom -> hdc
  brw-rw----    1 root     cdrom     22,   0 Dec  1  2000 /dev/hdc
  $

> I edited my fstab to add a dvd entry here is my fstab :
>
> /# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
>    /dev/hda2        /             xfs    defaults             0       0
>    /dev/hda5        none         swap      sw                 0       0
>     proc            /proc         proc   defaults             0       0
>    /dev/fd0         /floppy       auto   user,noauto          0       0
>    /dev/scd0        /cdrom     iso9660   ro,user,noauto       0       0
>    /dev/hda6        /home         xfs     defaults            0       0
>    /dev/scd0        /dvd                user,noauto,ro        0       0

Eh, don't you need a file system <type> for the /dvd entry?

If things look as I described above you could use

  /dev/cdrom    /cdrom  iso9660 ro,user,noauto  0       0
  /dev/dvd      /dvd    ???     user,noauto,ro  0       0

instead of what you have now if you like.

> here is the ogle output:
>

> Note[ogle_ctrl]: ogle 0.8.4
> Debug[ogle_ctrl]: Started /usr/lib/ogle/ogle_cli with pid 2239
> Debug[ogle_ctrl]: Started /usr/lib/ogle/ogle_nav with pid 2240
> Debug[ogle_ctrl]: Started /usr/lib/ogle/ogle_vout with pid 2241
> Debug[ogle_ctrl]: Started /usr/lib/ogle/ogle_mpeg_ps with pid 2242
> Debug[ogle_vout]: CLK_TCK: 100
> Debug[ogle_nav]: Opening DVD at "/dev/dvd"
> libdvdread: Using libdvdcss version 1.2.1 for DVD access
> libdvdread: Couldn't find device name.

If you really made a /dev/dvd directory as you said, I'm not really
surprised libdvdread can't find a device name.

HTH,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, ECS
LPIC-2               -- I hack, therefore I am --                 BOFH