Woody - XFree86 4.1.0.1: Screen Freezing, fsck 3 times/day

Hi all,
I installed Debian 3.0 Woody on a Sony VAIO PCG-F580 Laptop. Things are
pretty good BUT my system hangs randomly, sometimes after 10 hours,
sometimes after 10 minutes, wether I use KDE or Gnome. I use a regular
PS2 mouse on /dev/psaux and everything  gets frozen, Ctrl-Alt-BckSpace
doesn't kill X, have to reboot and enjoy fsck'ing. I checked my /var/log/X*
and it mentions this at the end:

"XFree86 is not able to detect your mouse.
Edit the file and correct the Device.

Your XF86Config file is /root/XF86Config.new"

So I think we can be sure that at a certain point X is lacking a device
wether it be because of upstream buggy code or not. I use a XFree NeoMagic
server (NM2380) and use set Software Cursor to TRUE. Here is my XF86Config-4:

Section "Files"
	FontPath	"unix/:7100"			# local font server
	# if the local font server has problems, we can fall back on these
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
	FontPath	"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
EndSection

Section "Module"
	Load	"GLcore"
	Load	"bitmap"
	Load	"dbe"
	Load	"ddc"
	Load	"dri"
	Load	"extmod"
	Load	"freetype"
	Load	"glx"
	Load	"int10"
	Load	"pex5"
	Load	"record"
	Load	"speedo"
	Load	"type1"
	Load	"vbe"
	Load	"xie"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Keyboard"
	Driver		"keyboard"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
	Option		"XkbModel"	"pc104"
	Option		"XkbLayout"	"us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/psaux"
	Option		"Protocol"		"PS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
EndSection

Section "Device"
	Identifier	"Generic Video Card"
	Driver		"neomagic"
	Option		"Swcursor"	"true"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
	Identifier	"Generic Monitor"
	HorizSync	30-60
	VertRefresh	50-75
	Option		"DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
	Identifier	"Default Screen"
	Device		"Generic Video Card"
	Monitor		"Generic Monitor"
	DefaultDepth	16
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		1
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		4
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		8
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		15
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		16
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600"
	EndSubSection
	SubSection "Display"
		Depth		24
		Modes		"1024x768" "800x600"
	EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
	Identifier	"Default Layout"
	Screen		"Default Screen"
	InputDevice	"Generic Keyboard"
	InputDevice	"Configured Mouse"
EndSection

Section "DRI"
	Mode	0666
EndSection

### END DEBCONF SECTION

Is there anybody here who's going through the same problem?
For now I copied my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 to /root/XF86Config.new since it
looks like the server was looking for it the log mentionned here above and it
was actually an empty file... Just a guess, still no crash for now after 30
minutes...

Thanks,
François