Re: Eth0 will not work after kernel recompile

suresh kumar sharma wrote:

are you sure you are loading the correct module because in kernel 2.4.XX the module name is "8139too"
,
unike in earlier kernel versions when it was "rtl8139"
.
If that is the case you might want to change this in
your "/etc/modules" or /etc/modules.conf file .
also you have to have CONFIG_FILTER and CONFIG_PACKET as yes ( Y ) ( networking opions )when you compile the
kernel .
cheers
--- Jeremy Petzold <jpetzold@earthlink.net> wrote:
I have compiled a new kernel with ACPI support to
get my sound working. I was successful in getting my sound working (thank you Max). but now, as with other kernel compiles with diffrent versions, I can not get my network to come back up.

my working kernel is the 2.4.18-bf2.4-xfs

my dmesg from the new kernel looks exactly like the
dmesg from my kernel working kernel (except for the ACPI stuff)

is there somthing I have to do to get it working
after I boot a new kernel?

I have a realtek 8139 ethernet chip. and I have
tried compiling the driver into the kernel, I have tried making it a module. I have tried other kernels that do not include ACPI, and I have tried 2.4.18 source without ACPI.

what am I doing wrong?

thanks,

Jeremy