Re: How to manager different network environments?

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 11:39, Auke Jilderda wrote:
> Exactly how do you run whereami on the apm resume event?  Is that
> hardware/BIOS dependent or can I do it with the regular APM support in
> the Linux kernel?  I've been reading up on this but couldn't quite find
> it, it seems like I need APIC to do this, is that correct?

That's "ACPI", not "APIC" :-)

Either that or APM - depending on the age of your laptop.  Newer ones
will work better with ACPI, but I'm not sure how well that handles
suspend / resume events as I use APM with my laptop.

For APM, whereami puts a hook into /etc/apm/event.d which makes it run
basically 'whenever there is an event'.

For ACPI, a script called /etc/acpi/events/default gets run.  This is
not hooked into whereami, but that's where it would get done.

Unfortunately the ACPI handling is not fully mature yet, so the script
doesn't do a run-parts... on some directory to let other packages more
easily hook into it.  (Hmmmm... maybe I feel a wishlist bug coming on...
:-)

Cheers,
					Andrew
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St,  Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/         PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201     MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267
           Survey for nothing with http://survey.net.nz/