Re: How to manager different network environments?

Hi Andrew, Chris,
> >   meanwhile I installed whereami and do my first steps.
> >
> >   Currently I am working on my wlan card and am wondering why whereami
> > is triggered in /etc/pcmcia/network when the card is inserted, but not
> > when it is removed?
>
> Hmmmm...  It should do that too, I guess, but I don't think that pcmcia
> has any hooks to trigger things on removal.
>
> I will look into it.
Unfortunately I don't have a clue about scripts yet. I tried to copy the
hook for whereami from the start section of the network script to the
stop section, but without much success. Whereami is called then, but
unfortunately before the removal of the wlan modules, so that whereami
still detects them.

> >  On lwe I've seen on Chris' laptop, that whereami was triggered when he
> > plugged the ethernet cable?! How is that to be accomplished?
>
> That's tricky!   I know there is a daemon in laptop-net that monitors
> the mii status for cable insertion.  I have been thinking of merging
> some of that into whereami, but only discovered it last week.
>
> Not sure what Chris is doing - perhaps he could elucidate!
It's not a top priority for me. I was keen to use it, but more for the
fun than that I really need it ;-)

Cheers,
Mariano