Kernel COmpile problems

I have been trying to fix my sound problems on my zt1130 Pavilion notebook. the solution found was to hack the ACPI code and then compile the kernel.

I have hacked the code correctly, but when ever I do an xconfig then do a make-kpkg kernel_image and then do a dpkg -i for the resulting .deb I run into problems after I reboot and load the new kernel.....the network never comes up...I compile the right driver into the kernel, a realtek onboard chip that is supported by the 8139too driver, howevr I never get the network to come up.

everything else works fine.

on a side note...I have trided the idepci kernel and that system can not do a menuconfig or an xconfig.....does anyone know of someone that has patched the 2.4 kernel with the ACPI patch then made a netinst iso file with it?

thanks,

Jeremy