Re: displaying images without X

On Fri, Nov 01, 2002 at 11:13:31PM -0500, Drew Cohan wrote:
> Does anyone know how Debian 3.0, upon booting up, displays the penguin
> holding a beer without X being installed?  I've found the png but can't
> find the means the system uses to display this image on boot.
>

> I've tried to duplicate this behavior with 'fbi' but I get 'only packed
> pixel buffers supported'.  With 'zgv', I get a seg fault.  All I want to
> do is display a jpg/gif/png without having X installed.

Two dif't questions.

The kernel displays a cute little thing onto the framebuffer, because
it's compiled into the kernel, to prove the framebuffer works.

Once you have a working framebuffer, you should be able to use zgv, but
it will not work correctly unless you configure /etc/vga/libvga.config.
It will need your horiz sync and vertical refresh rates (the same thing
X wants) and you *probably* have to uncomment
	chipset FBDev

...of course, only video chipset should be uncommented, and there's a
chance you'd get better behavior from them ALL being commented.  But I
have gotten segfault from having the wrong chipset activated, because
the drive I'm on was swapped into another machine.

Yeah, I'm a big zgv user.

 Heather Stern - star@starshine.org -*- Starshine Technical Services
        Sysadmin Support & Training -*- consulting@starshine.org