Re: Kernel COmpile problems

On Monday 04 November 2002 01:32, Jeremy Petzold wrote:
> I have been trying to fix my sound problems on my zt1130 Pavilion notebook.
> the solution found was to hack the ACPI code and then compile the kernel.
>
> I have hacked the code correctly, but when ever I do an xconfig then do a
> make-kpkg kernel_image and then do a dpkg -i for the resulting .deb I run
> into problems after I reboot and load the new kernel.....the network never
> comes up...I compile the right driver into the kernel, a realtek onboard
> chip that is supported by the 8139too driver, howevr I never get the
> network to come up.
>
> everything else works fine.
>
> on a side note...I have trided the idepci kernel and that system can not do
> a menuconfig or an xconfig.....does anyone know of someone that has patched
> the 2.4 kernel with the ACPI patch then made a netinst iso file with it?
>
> thanks,
>
> Jeremy

Hi,
I own a Omnibook XT1000 with exactly the same Problem with sound and ACPI.
I solved it like that (and wondered about Your way with building a .deb):
-I patched the original kernel.org source (2.4.19) with the ACPI Patch from
Sourceforge (You need the newest and fitting version...)
-Then a #make menuconfig (I assume that we have nearly the same hardware
configuration... So if You want I can send You my .config)
-After that a #make dep bzImage modules modules_install
-Then a #cp arch/i386/boot/bzimage /boot/vmlinuzNEW
-After that I of course needed to edit my lilo.conf
-Then a #lilo
And after a reboot everything worked :-) Except some acpi functions. But that
isn't my fault. The specifications of the ACPI standard are not strict
enough, so every manufacturer has his "own" ACPI...
A helpful link for You should be Stefan Bellon's page:

http://www.sbellon.de/xt1000.html

cheers,

Max

--
there are only 10 types of people in the world:

Think about TCPA

Don't let entertainment industry cut Your rights!

FAQ:
English: http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~rja14/tcpa-faq.html
German: http://moon.hipjoint.de/tcpa-palladium-faq-de.html