Re: displaying images without X

El sáb, 02-11-2002 a las 05:13, Drew Cohan escribió:
> Does anyone know how Debian 3.0, upon booting up, displays the penguin
> holding a beer without X being installed?  I've found the png but can't
> find the means the system uses to display this image on boot.

The image is hardcoded on the kernel itself and is shown everytime you
boot with a framebuffer console, it's not loaded using an external
program from a /etc/init.d script nor anything like that.

> I've tried to duplicate this behavior with 'fbi' but I get 'only packed
> pixel buffers supported'.  With 'zgv', I get a seg fault.  All I want to
> do is display a jpg/gif/png without having X installed.

If you see the pengin the framebuffer is working, so fbi should also
work. I don't know what may cause that 'packed pixel buffer' error.

--
 Vicente Aguilar <bisente@bisente.com> | http://www.bisente.com