PCMCIA Network card up on boot...

I would like my wireless PCMCIA network card to be up and running on boot.
From what I can gather from the hotplug docs, it should be started via
"coldplugging", i.e, by the /etc/init.d/hotplug script which is run at boot
time.

To get the card to work after a reboot, I have to eject it and reinsert it
after I have booted. When I do this, the hotplug scripts do their job and the
network card is brought up.

I notice that, by default, in runlevel 2, /etc/init.d/hotplug is run at S11,
whereas /etc/init.d/pcmcia isn't run until S20.

Shouldn't hotplug be run _after_ pcmcia when booting to get an already
connected pcmcia device to work on boot?? If so, should I move pcmcia up, or
hotplug down, in the boot order?? Am I missing something, or does this
(default) configuration mean no coldplugging of PCMCIA devices in Woody?

Bruce