Re: Win-xp NTFS mount problem

On Wednesday 16 October 2002 22:30, Satelle, StevenX wrote:
> If you really want to write to NTFS and can accept the risks (You have a
> regular backup) You can enable write support for ntfs in the kernel config
> (its in the fs section) but I wouldn't recommend it. What I have is an ntfs
> c drv and a small -1 gig fat32 d drv. It really is a bad idea to write to
> ntfs though, win32 and unix do permissions differently you could corrupt
> the permissions for everything on the c drv

Thanks to all that responded to this inquiry.  It was suggested that I
convert back to fat32 by several posters.  The copy of winXP on this laptop
doesn't seem to have that ability.  I think it is either the OEM version
(gateway 2u) or that M$ doesn't want xp users to have FAT32 native support.
I don't know if it is either of these, both of them, or none of them.

I don't want to hose the partition at this point.  In fact, my desktop just
had a mainboard failure so I am now dependant on this little ole brute to get
by with until I can come to grips with replacing my not quite 1 year old
super computer :(

At any rate, thanks again for all the posts.  I learned that I like M$ even
less then I did when I switched to Linux back in '97 (or was in '96?)   :)

tatah

--
Jaye Inabnit/\ARS ke6sls/\A Debian Gnu/Linux user
If it's stupid, but works, it ain't stupid. I SHOUT JUST FOR FUN.