pcmcia with a newly installed kernel image

Hi all,

I'm just migrating to Debian (Woody), from another distribution, and I have some configuration problems, such as getting PCMCIA net card working with a newly installed kernel image. The original kernel (2.2.20, from Woody), works OK with the card, but when I boot the 2.4.19 kernel I get "operation not permitted" when trying to modprobe for pcmcia modules (as root). I have installed the precompiled kernel with the corresponding pcmcia modules package, as they are provided on Debian's site. I wonder if someone could help me with some hints.

Thanks,

Vlad

P.S. Oh yes, the machine is a Dell Latitude CPx500H, and the card a Linksys Eth 10/100 (I am sure it's supported).